Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 02:10:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2011-11-03 at 13:20 -0400, Linux Tyro wrote:

2. Just after the installation, music player was not working, however,
I just opened the file 'codecs-kde.ymp' (after downloading it) and it
said me some warnings like that of some other repositories....(looked
to me as if it is like that....), like 'pacman' or something else and
it WARNED me that 'it could crash your system' BUT I just accepted
that (I cannot live without music!) and I guess openSUSE is made by so
skilled persons, why not to accept that warning, I did that....Now the
music is working (amarok, etc...) But is it dangerous (that something
like ...'pacman'...website..) and it was directly importing some keys
from their (I don't know for which keys it warned me...). So was it
safe?

Packman is pretty safe, and it is the only way we can have multimedia.

You can also have a look here at the "stikies":

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/

3. I created one user during installation and gave its password. Now,
is this user [which has system administrative privileges (was written
underneath the user when I created it)] having some sort of root
powers ... or that is different? Since when I go to yast, it says me
to enter the root password and I only enter the password of this
created user (with which I log-in too) and yast works, so by default
that is the password of root also? Or different (since I didn't set
the root password and it is accepting that password..!). Or could root
password be set separately..?

You normally will have a plain user and root, and typically both have the same password. Some of us think this is wrong, so if you want you can just change the password for root.

4. After the live CD installation (KDE, x86_64), when I opened the
Yast, it automatically was downloading files, so is it always safe
that it downloads all those files (I don't know what exactly those all
files and stuff...) it download and uses it.

What the yast package manager loads first are the updated indexes of the packages it can offer for you later. It doesn't install anything unless you tell it so.

5. When I opened the Firefox, it is saying its version is '4.0b12', so
it is not stable, it may have some bug remaining (what I came to
know...) so how could I do it (or make it) remain the stable Firefox
version....Since I read (somewhere) that 'b' and 'alpha' releases are
development releases and not stable, so they may have some sort of
bug(s)...

That is because you have just installed. Go to yast, open the "online update" an it will update a lot of things, including firefox.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)