Re: [opensuse] startproc in rc scripts
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:04:40 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 17:36 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I want to use startproc to start more than one instance of a
program in an rc script. Is this possible? It seems that it ignores
any subsequent starts of the binary if it has already started it
once. None of the option for startproc seemed to matter. If I make
a link to the binary with a different name and use that, then I get
another proc running. Have I missed something?

Hi Roger,

the man page says:

For the possibility of having two different sessions of one binary
program, the option -i ignore_file allows to specify a pid file which
pid number is used to ignore all processes of corresponding process
session.

On 11.2, where I am running this, the man page rather confusingly only
says this about the option:

-i ignore_file
The pid found in this file is used as session id of
the same binary program which should be ignored by
startproc. Obviously this option does
not work if option -f is specified.

I see words. But they don't really say anything to me...

Your explanation provided more insight. Thanks.

Hmm, I'm not sure my "explanation" was worth much, I had trouble
understanding that paragraph myself.

But I am still unclear on this. Should I give it the pid file
controlling the first instance of the binary, which was made by the
first instance of startproc? Since I leave making that file to
startproc, how would I find out the name it used? Or is this something
else?

I think you'll have to experiment to find out what it really does.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.6°C)