Re: [opensuse] startproc in rc scripts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 19:15:11 +0100
On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 17:36 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I want to use startproc to start more than one instance of a program
in an rc script. Is this possible? It seems that it ignores any
subsequent starts of the binary if it has already started it once.
None of the option for startproc seemed to matter. If I make a link to
the binary with a different name and use that, then I get another proc
running. Have I missed something?

Hi Roger,

the man page says:

For the possibility of having two different sessions of one binary
program, the option -i ignore_file allows to specify a pid file which
pid number is used to ignore all processes of corresponding process
session.

On 11.2, where I am running this, the man page rather confusingly only
says this about the option:

-i ignore_file
The pid found in this file is used as session id of
the same binary program which should be ignored by
startproc. Obviously this option does
not work if option -f is specified.

I see words. But they don't really say anything to me...

Your explanation provided more insight. Thanks.

But I am still unclear on this. Should I give it the pid file
controlling the first instance of the binary, which was made by the
first instance of startproc? Since I leave making that file to
startproc, how would I find out the name it used? Or is this something
else?

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST