Re: [opensuse] Basic learning tutorials query
Linux Tyro said the following on 11/02/2011 04:37 AM:
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://rute.2038bug.com/node4.html.gz#SECTION00470000000000000000

Just want to know if all things work here as well in openSUSE.

I meant this book is for Redhat and Debain only or for use in openSUSE
too, confused a little, please elaborate.

Linux is Linux is Linux.

There are differences in details of administration, but so what?

I can drive any automobile, left hand drive, or right hand drive,
automatic or shift; three, four or five gear. I can drive pick-up
trucks and vans. I can drive the BMW mini and fill sized Caddy.

There is nothing special about that. Car rental companies, moving truck
rental companies, rely on this 'interoperability.'

Yes, some cars have wheel that have 4 lugs and bolts and some have five.
Some small trucks and pick-up have ones with six. Will this bother you
if you have to change a tire. Will it bother you of what you change is
a 'tyre' rather than a 'tire'?

Some engines have six cylinders, some have only four. Some even have
eight - WOW! This bothers you when you put gas in the tank? What if
you put petrol in instead? What if you have to change the spark-plugs?

Some things amaze me, one is what I term "Learned Incompetence".
For a basic user, the menu, the bottom bar, the layout of various mail
programs (outlook, thunderbird, kmail, pegasus), web mail interfaces,
word processors, spreadsheets and so on, running under windowing systems
with built-in help and icons and pull-down menus are not blindingly
different. What I'm saying is that if you can use Outlook you can use
Thunderbird -- unless you've been conditioned by Microsoft that anything
except Microsoft is unusable. This is probably the biggest hurdle with
moving from Windows to Linux these days.

And Tyro, you're doing some of this, making it all a bigger issue than
it is.

Like the Nike adverts say -- "Just Do It!"

If you can drive the Honda Accord that is Windows you can drive the
Buick Park Avenue that is Linux.

--
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act
rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those