Re: [opensuse] Basic learning tutorials query
Felix Miata said the following on 11/02/2011 05:00 AM:
On 2011/11/02 14:07 (GMT+0530) Linux Tyro composed:

Linux Tyro wrote:

http://rute.2038bug.com/node4.html.gz#SECTION00470000000000000000

Just want to know if all things work here as well in openSUSE.

I meant this book is for Redhat and Debain only or for use in openSUSE
too, confused a little, please elaborate.

openSUSE is much like RedHat in that both use the basic RPM package
management (underneath the friendlier Yum and Yumex overlays, which roughly
correspond to Zypper and YaST2) and similar (1,2,3,5) runlevels.

Section 1.7 in the URL given above says specifically "redhat-like" and
explains that he's using the term 'redhat' to refer to systems that use
RPM. Yes, it doesn't mention Suse, but it doesn't mention Mint either.

Personally I ONLY use systems that use RPM :-)

I have niggling complaints about Linux packages; its like the different
auto manufacturers, each has their own idea about what is "value added"
over the baseline. If you want Citroen's suspension, Chrysler's
automatic gear box, Volvo's crash-survivability and Cadillac's comfort
you aren't going to find it on all in one vehicle on any lot.

But the baseline is still more reassuring than Windows.

For most purposes books about RedHat have
applied to openSUSE, but note that RedHat is a commercial distribution with a
free counterpart called Fedora, similar in concept to openSUSE's relationship
to commercial counterparts SLED & SLES.

I run openSuse, Fedora and Mandriva; each are innovative in their own
way and conservative in their own way. Much of this reflects the
personalities of the community. Despite Suse's German origins, this
community has a feel that is to me more "international" than the ones I
deal with for Mandriva or Fedora. That may be me, that may be the
particular lists (there are many for each distribution). But I find
this opensuse list pretty congenial.

As was said earlier, that ebook is a bit out of date; linux moves on.
Issues like csets and systemd are absent - too new. But the section on
the file system justification is excellent. (see the 'rationale' under 35.2
http://rute.2038bug.com/node38.html.gz#SECTION003820000000000000000)

--
If we allow untrustworthy root CA's to exist, the whole SSL-PKI concept
is dead.