Re: [opensuse] small installation help
  • From: Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 06:31:11 +0530
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> separate for root (/) and home (/home), is good (as you all say), but
> separate for each like /boot, /tmp, /usr, ... should be done like
> this...?

Just separate root, home, and swap. Don't overcomplicate yourself.

Okay, I am just waiting for the dvd to get downloaded, however, I may
be out for too during this week.

> Okay, installer is smart enough to know all this things, and I would
> go with the default options only,

The installer does not always generate the best proposal for your
needs. You have to use your judgement.

> but I was trying to know somehow
> what exactly was the purpose of having separate partitions and how
> does it help....

You need those three. Read the opensuse book for more info.

Oh I see, much technical..!

Root is where the system is installed. Home is needed for your data,
separate so that you can reinstall without touching your data.

Oh I see. It would be exciting when I would install.

--
THX