Re: [opensuse] small installation help
Linux Tyro said the following on 10/30/2011 12:26 PM:
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The main reason I'd have for disagreeing is something Tyro hasn't told
us (Or that I didn't note): the size of his disk.

Its 250 GB.

You can probably shrink you Windows partition down to less than 50G.
Put 200M aside for /boot
Put 1G aside for /
Put the rest in LVM.

I have this on a 80G drive.
As you can see, 11.4 fits in easily and its nowhere near half of that 80G

/dev/mapper/vgmain-TMP
1.5G 35M 1.4G 3% /tmp
/dev/mapper/vgmain-usr
6.0G 3.2G 2.9G 53% /usr
/dev/mapper/vgmain-usrshare
4.0G 2.6G 1.5G 63% /usr/share
/dev/mapper/vgmain-usrsrc
484M 68M 417M 14% /usr/src
/dev/mapper/vgmain-var
4.0G 1.9G 2.1G 48% /var
/dev/mapper/vgmain-home
3.5G 1.7G 1.9G 47% /home

What's that? less than 20G ? Perhaps I have an old 30G IDE I could
put 11.4 on as "throw-away"!

You could easily create a couple of spare "/" file systems for different
distributions, a larger /boot ....

LVM gives you a lot of flexibility to manage

--
Teachers open the door. You enter by yourself.
Chinese Proverb