Re: [opensuse] small installation help
Carlos E. R. said the following on 10/30/2011 10:55 AM:
On Sunday, 2011-10-30 at 10:28 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 10/30/2011 10:13 AM:

Recovery is more difficult.

Recovery of what?

Any type of problem when booting involving LVM.

I have to grant you that, so long as Suse stays with Grub1, this will be
a problem. I have other machines running Fedora and Grub2 and its more
capable.

But the solution is to have a separate /boot partition, which I'd
recommend even if you are using LVM and Grub2. Manageability again.
The price you pay is that it needs to be a large partition (say 200M)
because it is inflexible (not being on LVM) and if you are mirroring
that can add complications as well.

That being said, the 'disasters' I've had that involve booting have had
nothing to do with LVM. With 10.x and 11.3 the installation disk had
recovery tools. They they were absent from the 11.4 disk was more a
problem than anything to do with LVM.

As it has turned out over then years I've been using LVM, the fact I've
been using LVM has been a life-saver many times. It turns out to be
incredibly robust.

If you mean restoring the LVM configuration, then perhaps, but that
too can be backed up.

Yes, it can, but that is extreme, if for any LVM problem I have to dump an
image.

Yes, but I've never needed to.
A scan of the drive has always been enough to rebuild the information.
I've never _needed_ restore from the back up of /etc/lvm

In everything in life there are +'s and -'s
For me, using LVM the +'s so massively out weigh the -'s there is no
contest.

Yes, but that is because you know how to manage it and solve its problems.
Most of us do not.

Once upon a time I did not.
This goes for everything in life; be it driving the car or typing on the
keyboard :-)
To know you have to learn, and that means making the commitment.
The sooner in life you do, the sooner you surmount that hurdle and the
better equipped you are for the next.

No doubt, Carlos, you know a lot more than me about running RAID ...

I have seen posts of people with machines not booting, having an LVM
related problem, and nobody coming for help. That is what scares me. I can
solve many disk and filesystem problems on my own, but not if LVM is
involved.

Some of it is 'tools'; some of it is preparation. (Like making a
recovery disk.)
Isn't everything in life like that?

To be honest, the 'not booting' problems I've faced have had to do with
hardware; disk failures, bad caps; power surges. The most annoying one
was the absence of tools on the 11.4 installation disk.

--
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
and looks like work.