Re: [opensuse] Can I ask something...?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:10:08 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2011-10-30 at 19:01 +0530, Linux Tyro wrote:

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

Came to know that: My ram is 2 GB, now should I really go for 64 bit
or not?

IMO, no.

Because there would not be any significant advantage?

Right.

But let if I
wrong in the following:

Even if I am not getting advantage, but at least I am using the thing
for which it is made, 64 bit, however, for a single PC, nothing
useful. Is it exactly like this or more than this? Processor is
http://ark.intel.com/products/37212/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5200-(2M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)
supporting 64 bit!

Please also let me know about possible disadvantage(s), if any.

A 64 bits procesor is not faster in 64 bit mode than in 32 bits mode - it just "can" move more data simultaneously. It is like having a train moving with one wagon or two, at the same speed.

But you do not have that much ram.

I have seen programs compiled for 32 bit and 64 bit, and it used double the ram, and running slower:

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=457094

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)