Re: [opensuse] small installation help
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Haro de Grauw <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The installer usually makes a good "guess" of what it is meant to do, but
you should definitely check this.

You should have one FAT or NTFS partition (Windows), mounted on /windows/c,
this is probably set automatically by the installer. As for your previous
Ubuntu install, you will have to tell the installer what to do with that. I
don't know what your partitions look like,

Tell me the command, I would post here so that you can let me know
about my current strucure (which I am having).

by default openSUSE does this:

one SWAP partition
one root partition "/"
one home partition "/home/"

The two partitions '/' and '/home' are separate? But as you have
mentioned that, /home, 'home' itself is coming inside '/', and still
is different partition? What I know by partition, means that it is
getting some 'sda1/2/3/4/*' no., is it like that?

SWAP partition is disk space that is reserved for paging, this is a bit like
allocating part of your hard disc to act as additional RAM.

So when PC is off, SWAP is empty?

If your Ubuntu install also had separate root ("/") and home ("/home/")
partitions, you might want to keep the "/home" one, as this will contain
your documents, saved settings etc. Or perhaps you want to wipe out
everything and start from scratch: in this case, you would format (i.e.,
wipe) both the root and the home partition. (Also, note that the home
partition is optional: if you don't make this, then "home" will simply be a
subdirectory of root.)

I have already taken back-up of all the documents in the Current
Ubuntu LTS. I just want complete replacement of it with openSUSE 11.4,
but it should take only this Ubuntu space and Windows XP should remain
intact (my sis uses that). I don't know if Ubuntu currently is having
separate root ("/") and home ("/home"), but please tell me the command
to check this and I would post (I just installed Ubuntu and it
automatically took all the options keeping aside Windows XP safe).

Also should I make separate root ("/") and home ("/home/") or not,
would it be beneficial in any way(s)?

At the end of the set-up, make sure you have the following:

one SWAP partition (a few GB will do)
one windows partition, this should be of the FAT or NTFS type, this should
NOT be formatted, and it should be mounted as /windows/c

Installer would do it automatically and show me /windows/c or would
show like /sda*, in the later case, how would I know that it is only
Windows XP?

one root ("/") partition, this should be of the ext4 type, and should be
formatted
optional: one "home" partition, i.e., an ext3 or ext4 partition mounted on
/home/, this can either be a new partition (in which case it should be
formatted), or it can be the home partition from your Ubuntu install, in
which case it should NOT be formatted

If it is a new partition, it is again under '/', and still a separate partition?

Good luck!

Thanks a lot, but I have started the torrent download of 64 bit
version of openSUSE 11.4 DVD.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Anton Aylward