Re: [opensuse] Can I ask something...?
  • From: Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:17:15 +0530
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I looked back through all your posts and found no discussion about the
amount of your installed RAM. AIUI, 64 bit has some overhead penalty
compared to 32 that isn't worth the price on lower RAM systems, probably 2G
or less. It is only clear that most users of systems with more than 3.5G of
RAM should use 64 bit and that most users of 1G or less of RAM should use 32
bit. It is less than clear which to choose if your RAM size is between 1G
and 3.5G. I only have one system with more than 3.5G, only a few with 2G,
and most have 1G or less. I run 32 bit on all of them. If you've already
downloaded the 32 bit and have only 2G or less RAM, I'd skip downloading 64
bit.

How do I check the ram size, please give me the command.

Currently on Ubunt LTS (10.04/Lucid Lynx)

--
Thx.

Came to know that: My ram is 2 GB, now should I really go for 64 bit
or not? (There is no compelling reason, just a home PC). But even if I
can have any positive, I would go and now finalized to go for that
DVD.

--
Thx.