Re: [opensuse] Can I ask something...?
On 28/10/11 23:01, Brian K. White wrote:
On 10/28/2011 12:50 PM, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
On 10/28/2011 06:42 PM, Linux Tyro wrote:
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Robert Schweikert<rjschwei@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

ok. Well, I just wanted to ask if the new release period could be
increased (just a suggestion) from 8 months to something like a year,
so that we (not from technical side) can all have a good grasp at the
OS/distro, can know something about it before any new thing come into
picture... However, it's just a question of 'if' this is a possibility
or not...!

Upgrade is not obligatory, I am running versions back to 11.1 on a daily
basis and some of the are web and mail servers. So you do not have to
update to the new version every 8 months or so

life is endless possibilities and then there is the freedom of choosing

Togan

Then again I just spent a few days fighting with some hackers script
that somehow manages to get _ROOT ACCESS_ to a few of my opensuse 11.2
machines, du apparently to a weakness in openssh.

[...]

When I noticed attacks like that, I changed my ssh port from the default 22 to a higher, unused port. Though I was just getting 'fishing expedition' probes from script kiddies (in China, Brazil and USA, mostly), no perl scripts running, AFAIK. This was a couple of years ago, I can't remember which version of oS I was running.

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E