Re: [opensuse] On the fly addition of RAID 1 to a "live" system
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 02:56:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2011-10-28 at 17:34 -0500, Duaine Hechler wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is but I'm asking to make sure ..

I have a live system on sda and currently using rsync to backup to sdb (identical size disk).

Notice that your current procedure is safer than raid.

Also all partitions - including root and boot - are running reiserfs

Can I add RAID 1 on the fly without disturbing my live system ?

I can think of a method, but I can not guarantee that it works.

First you create a degraded raid 1 on the second disk. You copy everything there. Then you repartition the first as raid, and add it. Suggest you create a virtual machine to develop the procedure. Much safer to create a full backup and reinstall.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)