Re: [opensuse] Question for the hard-disk management experts
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:31:55 Rodney Baker wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:09:38 Rodney Baker wrote:
[...]

terabyte USB drive, but my question is this. Should I backup the
partition table from the original drive as well, to ease the process of
restoring it back to its current state before I completely blow away
these 2 partitions of the HDD in the laptop? What is the correct way to
do this, apart from pen and paper?

Assuming I do back it up to the USB drive, what would the process be to
restore it?

Never mind, I found the answer here:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-how-to-backup-hard-disk-partition-table
- mbr.html

Backup:
# dd if=/dev/sxX of=/<path>/sdX-mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Restore:

# dd if=sdX-mbr.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=1 count=64 skip=446 seek=446

Hope this helps someone else.

Further to this, the above restore command restores the partition table but
not the boot sector (the first 446 bytes). In my case I will probably want to
restore the boot sector as well, in which case it will mean leaving of the
skip and seek params (if I'm understanding this correctly).