Re: [opensuse] Question for the hard-disk management experts
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:09:38 Rodney Baker wrote:
[...]
terabyte USB drive, but my question is this. Should I backup the partition
table from the original drive as well, to ease the process of restoring it
back to its current state before I completely blow away these 2 partitions
of the HDD in the laptop? What is the correct way to do this, apart from
pen and paper?

Assuming I do back it up to the USB drive, what would the process be to
restore it?

Never mind, I found the answer here:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-how-to-backup-hard-disk-partition-table-
mbr.html

Backup:
# dd if=/dev/sxX of=/<path>/sdX-mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Restore:

# dd if=sdX-mbr.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=1 count=64 skip=446 seek=446

Hope this helps someone else.