Re: [opensuse] Remote files using SSHFS without mounting
Dave Howorth said the following on 10/27/2011 08:40 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:
What I want to do is that in a general sense, for example

$ diff localfile anton@remotesystem:remotefile

rsync with suitable options

$ tail anton@remotesystem:remotefile

ssh anton@remotesystem tail remotefile

I think you are missing my point.
You've given specific and non-general alternatives to my two examples.
I could come up with any number of examples and we could spend eternity
playing pin-pong with them.

What I'm looking for is something that threats a file argument to a
command - ANY COMMAND - in a general way. With a consistent syntax.

For example, the 'diff' should be able to extend to 'diff3':

$ diff3 $ARG1 $ARG2 $ARG3

where ARG{123} should be any valid file name syntax.

A user who knows how to use diff should be able to keep using diff.
Scripts that have diff embedded in them still work even when invoked
with a "user@machine:file".

The whole point of FUSE is to make the transport transparent.

What I'm asking for is to get around the remote mounting.

--
Vizzini: INCONCEIVABLE!
Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think