Re: [opensuse] Camtasia equivalent
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:22:51 +0200
2011/10/24 Oszkó Albert <oszko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi all,

One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the usage of a
special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent me
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/
It is a screen recording and editing software. Can you suggest something
similar that can be used in openSUSE?

There is no all in one package that I've seen that does what Camtasia
does. There are some tools available though....

RecordMyDesktop is pretty decent (with both a GTK and QT front end)
for recording screen casts. It's in the repos for openSUSE... see
http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php for details. I've
used it on a few occasions, and it did a very good job of recording
what was happening on screen.

LiVES is a pretty complete video editing app that you can use for post
processing if the output form RecordMyDesktop needs cleanup or
editing... http://lives.sourceforge.net/ This is also in the repos.

Another alternative for post processing and frame by frame video
editing is Cinelera http://cinelerra.org I haven't used this one, so
can't really do much other than point at it.