Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.3 DNS not working
On Friday 30 September 2011 01:59:24 Per Jessen wrote:
Bruce Samhaber wrote:
Which DNS server deamon should I be running, or rather does the
configuration tools setup?

You don't have to run any DNS server unless you've decided you want one.

I thought that it was dnsmasq but since the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file
has nothing configured in it then it probably should be the named that
gets configured. The /etc/named.conf was modified on 2011-09-27 14:07

So now I need to debug why the named is responding with an error to
the dns requests,

1) do you need/want a name server?
2a) if yes, and assuming named is running, please post

a) output from 'dig opensuse.org'

bruce@samhaber2:~> dig opensuse.org

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3 <<>> opensuse.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;opensuse.org. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
opensuse.org. 565 IN A 130.57.5.70

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
opensuse.org. 565 IN NS ns.novell.com.
opensuse.org. 565 IN NS ns.novell.co.uk.
opensuse.org. 565 IN NS ns2.novell.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns.novell.co.uk. 1735 IN A 130.57.40.66
ns2.novell.com. 36935 IN A 137.65.1.2

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 21 10:20:09 2011
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 152

b) output from 'dig <one of your zones>'

sampathome.ca is the internal zone on my side of the firewall that I defined.
It is not registered anywhere. The reason that I want to have a DNS server is
that I have many machines in my network that could be turned on sometimes but
not always. THe DNS server would just need to be configured rather than update
hosts files whenever a machine is added. My Dlink router is the DHCP server
so it handles which ever devices that I do not want to remotely access with
fixed IPs.

bruce@samhaber2:~> dig sampathome.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3 <<>> sampathome.ca
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 39535
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sampathome.ca. IN A

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 21 10:20:57 2011
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 31

samhaber.ca is a registered domain name outside of my firewall.

bruce@samhaber2:~> dig samhaber.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3 <<>> samhaber.ca
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;samhaber.ca. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
samhaber.ca. 14400 IN A 72.55.186.64

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
samhaber.ca. 63765 IN NS ns2.panelboxmanager.com.
samhaber.ca. 63765 IN NS ns1.panelboxmanager.com.

;; Query time: 60 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 21 10:21:48 2011
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 100

2b) if no, then stop named and forget it. Make sure
your /etc/resolv.conf points to your providers nameservers.

--
Bruce Samhaber
112 Kenora St., Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 3L1