Re: [opensuse] Wine - saving M$- Word document takes 3 minutes
LLLActive@xxxxxxx said the following on 10/18/2011 09:53 AM:
On 18/10/11 15:28, Anton Aylward wrote:
LLLActive@xxxxxxx said the following on 10/18/2011 08:37 AM:
Incidentally, I cannot use OO-org, because there is no Outline tool in
OO-org. It has been a requested issue for 10 years now, to no avail.
That'
s a problem?

Not for me.

I use a mindmapping tool as an outliner.
The graphical representation makes it much easier to work with!

There are many mind-mapping tools available for Linux:

* XMIND
* View-your-mind
* Freemind and Freeplane

Those last two allow you to write 'notes' in each node of the map that
when you export the map to text (.odt, .html or .pdf) and that means you
can compose a lot of your document in the map before you export the outline.

There's more capability in this kind of tool that I can describe in a
few words, and more than you will find in just a few minutes trial. It
really is an excellent 'idea manager'

Hi Anton,

I use it for writing a PhD, other books and technical papers. I use
Freemind as a start, but when it comes to books, there is no better tool
like Outliner in M$, sadly! I have to work with lots of text content,
and mind mapping tools are the start, but not easily usable tools for my
purpose. Freemind gets so big that you loose perspective. It works well
for topics and headings, less well for body texts. I even tried
outliners for Mac, which was quite OK, but propriety. I need an outliner
for students who are migrating to use Linux and open-source, in place of
M$, Mac and closed-source. Mind mappers are a good start. We need
something beyond the idea development phase.

In that case I suggest you look to the 'authoring' tools that have been
developed for writing *shock* *horror* NOVELS. These have tools (panes,
panels, stacks) for keeping track of plot threads, characters and
character development, scenes, background and more.

There are things like 'StoryBook for Linux, and a plethora for Windows
that might or might not run under WINE.

Personally I think your comment "We need something beyond the idea
development" short-changes computer-based mindmapping. I say this
because I've been using mindmapping since the 70s, when it was
black-boards and flip charts. But just as VISIO transformed blueprints
(I recall the hours it took to redraw merely to insert one logic gate),
so too has the computer revolutionized mindmapping. Mindmaps are now
applications, not drawings. With XSLT I can assign attributes like
probabilities and cost to nodes and then make decision trees that are
not just diagrammatic but actually calculate. Having a
node-as-a-database (even if it is a XML one) unleashes a great deal of
power.

Now the thing is that your OpenOffice document is a really (under the
hood) and XML file. And so it the Freemind map. A small XSLT script
can convert one to the other ... or if you want to write a GUI in Perl
or Python or Ruby, the "outliner" that stores its data as the XML which
gets transformed into one or the other.

I suspect I'm a lot more experienced with computer based mindmaps,
having been using them regularly for over 15 years now; so for me the
idea of writing a book (or anything else) in a modern mindmapping tool
(I have my preferences) is not daunting. Experience counts. That is
true with any tool you chose.

Try 'Storybook'.

This is the wrong forum to ask about writing tools.

Hmm. I wonder what 'outliner' Steven King uses.
--
The chief forms of beauty are order and symmetry and definiteness, which
the mathematical sciences demonstrate in a special degree.