Re: [opensuse] installing optimized packages like Gentoo
On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 10:37 -0700, Carlos Alberto Gueto Tettay wrote:
Hi everybody,

Gentoo linux is an special distro that can be automatically optimized
and it offers an extreme performance according to machine
specifications.

"extreme performance" - Bogus. Show me the numbers.

I was wondering if I can install optimized packages with zypper,
something like from source, just like Gentoo

You can rebuild source packages; probably easier to create your own
repo on OBS and subscribe to that than to do it locally. There you can
edit the .spec files and throw in as many -O2 directives as you want.

But it won't make a meaningful difference. If you get 2% performance
bump by playing with compiler options then you are just lucky.

All that optimization stuff is just noise. Gentoo's build-everything
optimized is pointless make-work.