Re: [opensuse] installing optimized packages like Gentoo
On 10/02/2011 07:37 PM, Carlos Alberto Gueto Tettay wrote:
Hi everybody,

Gentoo linux is an special distro that can be automatically optimized and it
offers an extreme performance according to machine specifications.

I was wondering if I can install optimized packages with zypper, something like
from source, just like Gentoo

It does not make sense to optimize each and every binary that way, just the timeconsuming ones.

Some packages, like the C library glibc, have optimized routines for different cpus and choose the right routine based on cpu.

Instead of doing the Gentoo approach, I suggest to monitor your system, figure out the bottlenecks and find ways to improve those routines - that will help everybody,

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany