[opensuse] samba authentication
Hi
11.4
I've set up a samba server using Yast. It works. I can see the home shares on
a linux client and I get asked for a username and password when I click the
'homes' share e.g. from Dolphin by clicking network and then samba.

That's _almost_ what I want.

What I want it to do is use samba to authenticate linux clients like I do with
NIS at the moment. There are no users apart from root on the clients and /home
on the server is mounted as /home on the clients by NFS. The kde login screen
on the client displays all the users on the server.

Using yast windows domain membership on a client I cannot check the box 'Use
SMB information for Linux Authentication'. I get the error: 'Cannot use the
workgroup 'hh1' for Linux authentication.'.

All linux users on the server have been given samba passwords and I have tried
the server and client with firewall enabled and disabled.

My question is: can samba do what NIS/NFS does at the moment?

Thanks. L x

here is /etc/samba/smb.conf from the server:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2011-07-28
[global]
workgroup = hh1
netbios name = suse
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
security = user
logon drive = P:
passdb backend = tdbsam
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -
s /bin/false %m$
name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhost
server string = "opensuse"
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printcap cache time = 750
cups options = raw
wins support = Yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S, %D%w%S
browseable = No
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = %H
read only = No
store dos attributes = Yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
[users]
comment = All users
path = /home
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = No