[opensuse] Re: web site bug 646418 (was: help forum no help...)
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 04:04:18 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:39:12 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

I've now been able to view the bug as well - I have similar questions
to Per's about how to reproduce the 120 dpi desktop (which I see Dave
has tried to help answer as well).

Hopefully upthread on 2011/10/07 18:00 (GMT-0400) I answered this to
your satisfaction.

Yes. I'll have to try to take some time reproducing it myself, and I'll
be unable to do so next week, so perhaps someone who works on the CSS can
pick it up and run with it.

That seems a fair complaint. I'm not quite sure how it relates to the
mess that you saw in that forum post, though.

As I wrote upthread on 2011/10/06 21:20 -0400, it's about the impossible
task of developing user styles capable of automatically counteracting
the 150k+ of site styles to undo the site's mousetype.

In case it didn't get your attention, the purpose of
https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=454975 is to show that the
majority of forum content text is a small fraction of the size of the
browser's (10pt) UI text, and a smaller fraction of the the browser's
(12pt) default proportional size. The only forum text that isn't smaller
is the relative behemoth thread titling.

The problem isn't just that the browser defaults aren't respected, but
how severely they are disrespected by a relatively mild (25%) deviation
from the 96 DPI "norm". 120 DPI isn't all that high. Laptops 133 DPI or
higher, and other devices higher still, are not at all unusual any more,
and are more severely affected.

However your subject line for this thread really didn't indicate that -
it implies that the content you found was no help, not that the hacked-up
CSS you've put in place to try to address a font size issue that affects
more than just the forums is causing some kind of display issue that
makes the page unreadable. You can't really hold anyone but yourself
responsible for CSS you developed to work around a problem causing a
problem with viewing the sites.

The first step in troubleshooting would be to remove your custom CSS and
see if the output can be reproduced without it. If it can't (which
appears to be the case), then blaming the forums for that particular
display output is going to be seen as disingenuous.

Which is not to say that the underlying issue (in the bug you reported)
is not an issue.

So your subject line here was at the minimum an inaccurate statement of
the problem and as such was somewhat misleading.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson