Re: [opensuse] installing optimized packages like Gentoo
Marcus Meissner said the following on 10/02/2011 03:59 PM:
On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 10:37:18AM -0700, Carlos Alberto Gueto Tettay wrote:
Hi everybody,

Gentoo linux is an special distro that can be automatically optimized and it
offers an extreme performance according to machine specifications.

I was wondering if I can install optimized packages with zypper, something like
from source, just like Gentoo

The open buildservice allows you to create a forked project of a distributon
and rebuild selected packages with optimization changes.
That can then be added as repo to your system.

There are an immense number of these, along with custom builds of other distributions.

Try
http://software.opensuse.org/search
and you might find one of them.

This generic way is more complicated than what Gentoo does right now,
but could surely be simplified, or spun off for specific optimizations.

Right now the threshold is above what I'm willing to venture for, but I'm hoping someone will do a build of some of the components of KDE that are not dependent on Nepomuk, or perhaps take the "compiz-addons" package and split it into the parts that need nepomuk and the parts that don't.

Any takers?

--
As far as I know, we have never had an undetected error.