Re: [opensuse] where can I change $PATH
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 14:42:05 +0200
On Sunday 02 October 2011 06:39:07 Andreas wrote:
Hi,

I've got an application installed from OpenSuse's repository which is in
$PATH.
Recently I installed a newer version as binary in /opt.

Now I'd like to remove the bin-directory of the older version and
replace it with the newer version under /opt.
I know I could add the newer bin to $PATH in /etc/bash.bashrc.local but
I rather like to remove the old one.
I'd like to keep the old binary at least for now so it's no solution to
delete the package and let YaST clean up $PATH.

Is there a central cfg-file where $PATH is defined?

I think maybe you have misunderstood what $PATH is. You don't have binaries in
that variable, you have directories which are to be searched for binaries. So
removing the old binary would mean removing the directory it is in, and then
you would lose every other binary in there.

The correct solution is the one you fould yourself, to add the new directory
where your new binary is, to $PATH, either first, or at least before the
directory where the old binary is

Anders