Re: [opensuse] where can I change $PATH
On 10/02/2011 02:37 AM, Brian K. White pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 10/2/2011 12:39 AM, Andreas wrote:
Hi,

I've got an application installed from OpenSuse's repository which is in
$PATH.
Recently I installed a newer version as binary in /opt.

Now I'd like to remove the bin-directory of the older version and
replace it with the newer version under /opt.
I know I could add the newer bin to $PATH in /etc/bash.bashrc.local but
I rather like to remove the old one.
I'd like to keep the old binary at least for now so it's no solution to
delete the package and let YaST clean up $PATH.

Is there a central cfg-file where $PATH is defined?

You don't want to remove any of the stock directories from PATH.

1st - search for a properly packaged newer version of the app at
build.opensuse.org. Install that rpm and it takes care of everything.

What part of "I'd like to keep the old binary" isn't understood here!

Simply put the "/opt" path earlier in the path statement as the one first found will run. You can always enter the full path to the openSuSE app to run it. But make sure ALL of the newer version (including libs) is installed under /opt before installing it otherwise you will have problems. and the proper place to change $PATH is in your .profile file.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998