[opensuse] Re: Re: Kmail or Chrome behavior
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 02:02:41 -0400
Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

On Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:40:31 AM John Andersen wrote:
On 9/23/2011 9:00 PM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
When I click on an URL in kmail I expect the URL to open in Chrome.
This happens without problem. The behavior I do not like is that it
automatically changes to Chrome. I have looked into Kmail and tried to
look
through the chrome preferences but I do not see a possibility to change
this behavior.
I would like to decide when I go to Chrome and when to leave KMail.
Somebody knows where this behavior can be set?

What do you mean it automatically "changes to chrome"?
Are you one of those guys that run all your applications in full screen
mode, and then wonder why you can only see one at a time? ;-)

Delayed switching to launched tasks is not a function of the emailer
or any other application.

If using KDE, you can control this in:
system settings (aka personal settings in some versions)
Workspace Appearance and behavior
Window Behavior
Focus tab,
Focus Stealing prevention set to HIGH

I am running 4 desktops in KDE. Number one for kmail, number two for
skype, number 3 for chrome and 4 as playground.
So if I am working on my kmail and see an URL that I want to see I cannot
finish my kmail work but the desktop changes to Chrome is instantly.
Can this behavior be controlled by something like Focus tab or focus
stealing prevention? Have never looked into these two functions.

Yes, I use my virtual desktops like this as well. In addition to the focus
prevention setting to High, you can also select a specific desktop where you
can force the browser to stay. Desktop 1 for me is Dolphin, 2 is Konsole, 3
is for web browser, 4 is for Kontact. I assign the web browser desktop 3 and
in conjunction with the focus prevention set to high you will get the
behavior you are looking for. When I click on a link in Kontact the URI
opens in the browser but doesn't switch to it, but remains in Kontact. Then
whenever I want to view it I just switch to desktop 3 and it's there ready
and waiting.

-Mike