Re: [opensuse] howto get details of 1394 (firewire) device creation on camera plug-in (need BASH test)
On 9/24/2011 8:18 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

Working with dvgrab and a firewire link to download digital video, I have
run into a problem on camera plug-in to the computer. Sometimes
the firewire device is created properly and video downloads fine. Other
times, the device is created and is able to control the camera, but
cannot download video. Unplugging and replugging the cable in usually cures
it. The kernel message for the bad plug-in is:

Sep 24 21:21:18 archangel kernel: [2111415.165895] firewire_core: phy config:
card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
Sep 24 21:21:18 archangel kernel: [2111415.800050] firewire_core: created
device fw1: GUID 08004601017ede99, S100

For the successful plug-in, you get:

Sep 24 21:33:54 archangel kernel: [2112171.169381] firewire_core: phy config:
card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
Sep 24 21:33:57 archangel kernel: [2112174.926294] firewire_core: created
device fw1: GUID 08004601017ede99, S100, 1 config ROM retries

Note the "1 config ROM retries" appended to the 'fw1' device creation when
the plug-in goes correctly.

I don't understand what this is or what it means, but I do need to devise a
way to test for a successful plug-in from within a BASH
script. Now, granted, it is simple enough to grep the message log and look
for "1 config ROM retries" within a reasonable time after the
plug in, but I know that is a hack...

When the device is created, where does it go in the /proc tree? How best
to test and what to test for the correct creation of the ROM
entries before beginning the dvgrab? Anybody run into this before?

I don't have a firewire camera, but all my other firewire disks just show up in
some subdirectory of /media.
I use these for backup.
So I create a sub directory of that sub-directory where the firewire drive
appears and I put a file in there.
If I can read the file, the drive is not mounted. If Its not found, its
because the drive mounted over
the subdirectory.