Re: [opensuse] mount question
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:52:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2011-09-21 at 20:46 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:

2011. szeptember 19. 17:30 napon "Carlos E. R." <> írta:
On Monday, 2011-09-19 at 12:46 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:

A GNOME user might help with this issue.

Kill nautilus.

Thanks Carlos.

Nautilus might be the culprit.
When I login to my KDE3 session several gnome programs are started:
nautilus, gconfd-2, polkit-gnome-au, gnome-do, gnome-do (copied from
the result of ps -u myusername).

How can I prevent them from starting in my KDE3 session?
Why are they started at all, and what is the way to configure them?

Nautilus is not a "normal" file browser, it also does special tasks
inside gnome, like drawing the icons in the desktop. You should never
run it outside gnome, because it has unexpected side effects.

I think killing it should be enough, I don't remember what mechanism
it uses to start again in a new session, if it does, in kde. Kde has
an autostart folder, I think, so look in there. KDE users may know
how to tell kde not to start it again.

It is not the first time I have seen this problem, but I don't
remember how to finally stop it from reocurring.

The rest of the programs you see running will disappear when you stop
nautilus, they are auxiliaries.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

This is what prompted my original reply to check the settings
in /etc/sysconfig ... I realize now that Istvan's experience and
circumstances are quite different, but the 'stickiness' of certain
gnome desktop items, as unwanted artifacts when I returned to kde, was
similar. This may be different now, but I learned back then to always
use YaST's /etc/sysconfig editor to switch both items when wanting to
change desktops. That procedure avoided unwanted artifacts / behaviors.

I regularly run gnome and whenever nautilus or something under it's
control misbehaves I just issue 'killall nautilus' which, in gnome,
kills it and it automatically starts again. No idea how it behaves
under kde :-)

Carl