Re: [opensuse] How to set the time when cron.daily executes ?
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 05:43:46PM -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
[ 8< ]
I think the question was slightly mis-phrased. What he meant was how
to set the time _that_, or _at which_, cron.daily is run.

The answer is "Use the source Luke!"

/etc/crontab has:
-*/15 * * * * root test -x /usr/lib/cron/run-crons &&
/usr/lib/cron/run-crons >/dev/null 2>&1

/usr/lib/cron/run-crons has:
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/cron ]; then
. /etc/sysconfig/cron
fi

/etc/sysconfig/cron has:
## Type: string
## Default: ""
#
# At which time cron.daily should start. Default is 15 minutes after booting
# the system. Example setting would be "14:00".
# Due to the fact that cron script runs only every 15 minutes,
# it will only run on xx:00, xx:15, xx:30, xx:45, not at the accurate time
# you set.
DAILY_TIME=""

That is one problem with using distribution value-add to system
tools. They are not documented in the man pages. "man cron" would
not have told you about run-crons. It would have told you about
/etc/crontab and you could have seen run-crons there, but then "man
run-crons" does not exist so you are left having to do what I did
above, actually go look at the file and hope it's a script and not a
binary, and hope you can read the script language well enough to
make some sense of it.

I'm sure suse documents this somewhere, but apparently you couldn't
find it, so it wasn't in a very good spot, because you did at least
try, right?

Please file a bugreport or feature request to get this addressed well.

Please reference
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-09/msg00550.html in the request
or report.

Thanks!