Re: [opensuse] mounting an USB device
On 9/20/2011 6:36 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 09:12:25 AM Anton Aylward wrote:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

Thanks. The latest info I got from above reads:
Sep 20 20:25:04 dhcppc4 kernel: [19659.121101] FAT-fs (sdh): unable to read
boot
sector

Which gives me the reason I presume why I have a problem connecting.
This pure fat 16 drive is probably at the end of its usable life?
Or are there other reasons for this information?

Very odd that it would even try to read the boot sector.

I use several external HDDs in IDE/Sata-to-USB enclosures, and
they all mount just fine by plugging them in (OS 11.4/KDE4.6x).
They all show up in Dolphin under /media and even the NTFS ones
are readable.

Even known bad disks mount this way, and are sometime functional enough
to get some data off of even when they are unbootable).

(Apparently 11.4 installs ntfs-3g by default or I did it somewhere
along the way).