Re: Re: [opensuse] Re: Grub, where to find?
  • From: "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:07:25 -0400

It would appear that on Sep 20, Constant Brouerius van Nidek did say:

On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:09:26 AM you wrote:
It would appear that on Sep 17, Constant Brouerius van Nidek did say:
On Friday, September 16, 2011 11:54:40 AM JoePhilbrook wrote:
==================== BIG snip ====================

Hope this helps!

This helps. No insult ;). I do know how and where to find the menu.lst but
the finding out where the grub is installed is important in order to
change drives and such. No grub2 yet. And grub was always something that
never gave big problems so I never looked into the details.

Well if you mean your not sure which mbr or partition superblock the
bootstrap part of which loader is initialized from... All I can say is:
"good luck with that" Of course if that's the issue, once you know where the
"/boot/grub" directories in question are located then you could use the
bigger hammer approach and "decide" where you want them, using something
like supper grub if necessary to "install" them to the mbr(s) and/or
partitions you desire them to be on now...

By the way, had you intended to send only a personally email reply? I ask
cause I didn't see your message on the list itself...

Have a good one!

Thanks for your email. It was originally meant for the list but I
send you this as a personal response. Due to inconsistencies of the
newest kmail the email went to you direct. Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry for... I just know that depending on the different
behavior of various email clients, and the difference of opinion it seems
different email list owners seem to have on "Reply-To:" munging, It's easy
to send a private message to group by mistake and or unintentionally deprive
the group the benefit of any useful info that might have been included in a
thread that was accidentally taken offlist. So since you didn't say it was
private I thought I'd give you a heads up. And since you say it was a kmail
error, I'll use the "power of Alpine" ;-) to reattach this to the list...

Did not see it. A good idea how problematic kmail can work is, that
my response to you direct got the opensuse address instead(which I
had to correct by hand ;) )

Like I said above. Some email clients make that kind of error easy. Though
to be honest, any email client can reattach a reply to a list. The beauty
or "power" of Alpine is that it makes it easy to see what it's going to do,
which gives one a chance to nip such goofs in the bud...

You are right, I am not sure which MBR or partition superblock the
bootstrap is initialized from.

Lucky guess.

When I change the booting from hd 0 to hd1 the booting does not
start. When I change it to hd 2 I get a windows xp boot. If I
disable all boot information it still starts as normal. Have the
feeling that the MBR from disk 0 is where the bootstrap is
initialized from.

My logic says that's likely. And {unless the "hd1" not starting means a grub
tried to start but failed because it somehow depended on the boot order of
the drives to find stage 2 etc...} then I think you've already
demonstrated that the secondary grubs are likely installed to superblock.
Though that could be determined (at least for your kde system) by looking
at the chainloader title in that primary boot menu.lst. In any case it
shouldn't hurt to boot the other Linux that I think you said gets booted
directly from the primary grub... then check to see if it's got viable
looking /boot & /boot/grub directories. If it does you might consider
telling it's grub to install to superblock (it's own root partition) to
make chain loading it an easy alternative once you have a working grub
using the new hd0 mbr to bootstrap from...

That is also the disk I want to swap which started my original
question. This would be the second time I will change this drive
and I cannot remember how I got my system up and running again. Most
probably with supergrub.

If your comfortable with supergrub that's a good way to go.

Another choice would depend on what the replacement hd0 will have on
it. If I was going to replace my primary boot drive, with something
having enough available space on it, I think I'd consider giving
one of those minimalistic cli only "tiny" Linux distros a small
partition for the express purpose of providing a new primary
bootloader with it's own small footprint Linux for a configuration
tool. And then I'd replicate the old primary boot/grub within it
adding a non-default title to start the "tiny" Linux. At least I'd
find out how small a partition one of those "small" Linux actually
needed... {just an idea}

In any case "Have a lot of fun!" ;-7