Re: [opensuse] Re: Howto repair - corrupt jpeg file - anything new out there?
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:59:02 -0500, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What is the best way to format one of these disks? In camera? mkfs.vfat?

FAT is fat, no matter who creates it. So it shouldn't matter if you
format it under Linux or in a camera.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice :)

In practice the FAT implementations in cameras (and other devices)
differ and sometimes they do get confused. One common case I have
experienced is previously deleted images reappearing.

I believe the safest way is to let the camera do all interaction with
the card and only read data via USB (or whatever i/f). Sure, its a cargo
cult but I haven't experienced any more problems since I adopted this
mode of use. Of course if the card starts to give trouble, I'll use
other tools as well to try to recover data.

Cheers, Dave