Re: [opensuse] Virtual box running out of disk space
On 09/16/2011 06:38 AM, Fr David Ousley wrote:
In the Virtual Box Settings > Storage, it shows the correct file, with the
correct size 20 gigs. In Windows, Computer > Hard disk properties shows the old
size, 10 gigs.

I also noted that VBoxManage has an expand utility, which I had tried earlier,
before posting. I tried that on the old file and successfully expanded it to 15
gigs. But in widows it still shows 10. So it seems to be a windows issue, and
I don't see an obvious way around it. It seems like it must be something
obvious, which I dodn't see.

It went very smooth on this end...

It was very smooth here too, until the last step .../

Thanks for your efforts!

Hmmm...

Obviously something isn't right. Let's start with a .vdi file review on your system. Under ~/.VirtualBox, the .vdi location has changed not too long ago. Originally, I had my .vdi files under ~/.VirtualBox/VDI:

13:10 providence:~/.VirtualBox> l
total 64
drwxr-xr-x 5 david david 4096 Sep 16 11:58 .
drwx------ 76 david david 4096 Sep 16 13:09 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 david david 4096 Feb 10 2011 HardDisks
drwxr-xr-x 4 david david 4096 Feb 10 2011 Machines
drwxr-xr-x 2 david david 4096 Feb 8 2008 VDI

13:10 providence:~/.VirtualBox> l VDI/
total 15358136
-rw------- 1 david david 16106189312 Jul 15 10:45 Windows XP Pro.vdi

The new location for the .vdi files is under ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/<vmname> So my new XP guest disk went under:

13:10 providence:~/.VirtualBox> l Machines/Windows\ XP\ Pro/
total 20877512
-rw------- 1 david david 21378478080 Sep 16 13:09 xp25gdyn.vdi

Is there anyway possible you are still actually booting your old .vdi due to the changed path to the new .vdi file?? Also, have you completely removed the old .vdi file name from the VirtualBox app disk controller? Just a couple of thoughts and checks to confirm the basic setup is fine. I don't see how it could be an XP issue. It seems like it must be a VirtualBox config issue...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.