Re: [opensuse] Postfix - Default message & mailbox size limits
On 09.09.2011 21:55, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

Just a note for those running postix mail servers on the default mailbox and
message size limits. Many times these settings are not referenced in the
default main.cf file. Moreover, if you are using procmail or some other 3rd
party local delivery agent, the errors encountered when the mailbox size
limit is reached are not obvious. The salient parts are:

Grin! I also discovered that when I set up my first server. (^-^)

Postfix imposes both message and mailbox size limits by default. The
message_size_limit controls the maximum size in bytes of a message, including
envelope information. (default 10240000)

The mailbox_size_limit controls the maximum size of any local individual
mailbox or maildir file. This limits the size of any file that is written to
upon local delivery, including files written by external commands (i.e.
procmail) that are executed by the local delivery agent. (default is 51200000,
set to 0 for no limit)

If bounced message notifications are generated, check the size of the local
mailbox under /var/spool/mail and use postconf to check these size limits:

supersff:~> postconf -d mailbox_size_limit
mailbox_size_limit = 51200000
supersff:~> postconf -d message_size_limit
message_size_limit = 10240000

You can't check your effective setting that way. "postconf -d" will always
show the DEFAULT setting. Just drop the "-d" and you will get the current
value of the parameter:

mordor:~ # postconf -d mailbox_size_limit
mailbox_size_limit = 51200000
mordor:~ # postconf mailbox_size_limit
mailbox_size_limit = 0

Sandy