Re: [opensuse] Cyrus IMAP password
On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 11:13 -0400, James Knott wrote:
I'm trying to set up a Cyrus IMAP server. It requires an IMAP password,
but I don't see any default or way to set it. What's the secret here?

The simples form of authentication is LOGIN/PLAIN; which with Cyrus [or
SASL in general] is performed via the saslauthd service. In
your /etc/imapd.conf file set/add -

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

And start the saslauthd service - "service saslauthd start"

By default that will authenticate users via PAM; which can be changed
via the SASLAUTHD_AUTHMECH setting in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd

Recent versions of Cyrus IMAP will be virtuously cranky about letting
you perform plain text authentication over a unsecure [unencrypted]
connection so if you want to do that also add -

allowplaintext: 1

- to your /etc/imapd.conf file.