Re: [opensuse] Re: (Dovecot is faster and supports multiple formats -- unlike Cyrus (was: Cyrus IMAP password)
On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 02:12 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
On 8/26/2011 8:24 AM, James Knott wrote:
James Knott wrote:
I have also used UoW before. Should I be using other than Cyrus?
The only reason I went with it is because it was the default imap server
install with opensuse 11.4. What about dovecot?
Dovecot gets good reviews.
Cyrus seems to work for me just fine. It seems bullit proof.
See 6.4 on this page: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Cyrus-IMAP.html
6.4 Adding the default user
I went from UoW IMAP to dovecot -- unlike Cyrus, it didn't require
I reformat my
email boxes (all in unix 'mbox format', as they all started as
Unix-mbox's)... into
it's custom format. And Dovecot is very fast....

mbox is fast? I don't believe that for a second. I doubt Dovecot uses
mbox; it probably converted the mail to maildir or UoW was already using
maildir. mbox is a broken and obsolete mailbox format; and very slow.