[opensuse] Re: ftp
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:26:51 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 19:24:03 +0200, K. Dennis Leyendecker wrote:

Even GCC seems not be installed by default. I installed a fresh
installation of openSUSE 11.4 on my virtual machine, booted it, logged
in and tried to compile Linux 2.6.39-rc7 (was the recent release to that
time).

I thought openSUSE won´t be like Ubuntu and delivered gcc and make by
default. No way. I had have to install gcc and make on my own :/

call me old fashion, but for me, an operating system should at least
have a shell, a compiler and a software like make.

Makes sense to me that it wouldn't be selected by default - not everyone
writes code, so a compiler for those users would be just taking up disk
space.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson