Re: [opensuse] Recover Linux Raid 0 with 2x2port 3Ware Raid 1 cards
  • From: "LLLActive@xxxxxxx" <LLLActive@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:49:53 +0200
)On 9/1/11 3:36 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
----------------
Computer
OS Disk (failed)
3Ware - 2 port striped (OK) ]______ mirrored mounted as /home/Data
3Ware - 2 port striped (OK) ]
----------------

Hi David and Joaquin,

Actually, the config is this (my previous description may be a little confusing):

----------------
Computer
OS Disk (failed)
AMCC 9650SE-2LP Raid Controller (SATA II, PCI-e) 3Ware - 2 Disks mirrored (OK) ]______|-- Linux striped the 2 mirrors
AMCC 9650SE-2LP Raid Controller (SATA II, PCI-e) 3Ware - 2 Disks mirrored (OK) ]______| (mounted as /home/Data)

Naturally, the controllers can only do Raid 1 or 0. I mirror 2 HD's on each controller. If one disk in the 2 mirrors fail, I can rebuild it with the HW raid controller. If 2 on the same controller mirror fail, I have a problem. The chance of this double failure on the same controller is slight. I have not yet in the last 6-7 years have a 3Ware controller failing. Not sure what will happen when one controller fails. I assume I can just replace the controller and it will pick up the config from the disks. Anyone know if a controller replacement will pick up the mirror? The 4 port 3Ware controllers (9650SE-4LPMLRaid Controller) do work if replaced, because the raid config is also on the disks, as far as I can hopefully recall correctly. I have not had a 3Ware fail yet, thus I lack the experience. I am considering replacing the 2x2 Ports with a 1x4 Port to have a HW-raid 10 without needing a Linux soft raid, for more safety; I just have to scratch the money together first.

I will try with the openSUSE Live CD as Joaquin suggests, to make another backup of the raid (to be sure), and do a new install of the OS as David suggests.

Thanks for the tips.

:-)
Al