Re: [opensuse] Connecting iPod to OpenSUSE
  • From: Gustav Degreef <gustav97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:58:33 +0530
On 12/27/2010 11:15 AM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
On 12/26/2010 09:13 PM, Terry Eck wrote:

Connected an iPod to USB port on OpenSUSE 11.3 and nothing shows up.
Anyone know of software which will "see" the iPod directories? Is this
even possible.
Thanks,
Terry

That is why I bought my Wife the Sansa Clip, because I didn't want to
futs around after Christmas to get it to work - she is running Linux too.

To my knowledge, iPod - REQUIRES - Windows or Mac.

Gtkpod works great with the ipod. However, the ipod has to be formatted
as a FAT drive and not with the native Apple filesystem. The first time
the ipod is connected to iTunes it should be on a computer with MS
Windows. Itunes will automatically configure the ipod. Then when you
connect it to a linux machine, gtkpod will easily read and write to the
device, add playlists, etc. If the first time you connect the ipod to
an Apple machine, it will configure the ipod with the native Apple
filesystem which gtkpod will not see. Best wishes. Gustav