Re: [opensuse] Question about Free Software policies within the openSUSE Project
  • From: Matt Hayes <dominian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:30:09 -0500
On 12/23/2010 7:09 AM, Kostas Boukouvalas wrote:
What are the Free Software policies inside the openSUSE project?

The only thing FSF notices that separates openSUSE Project from the
Emacs Church is "openSUSE offers its users access to a repository of
nonfree software" [1].

Could this change? I mean, could this repository be ousted from openSUSE
but still being accessible by openSUSE users if they want to?
Instructions could be given in forums outside the wiki or the official
openSUSE community sites.

Something like packman but with no help from the community. It would
also be a chance for business for someone that wants also to help
freedom but on the other hand to help a user in the extreme case that
some hardware cannot work with Free Software and she wants it to work
"the very moment".

Not mention the high importance of having the analytical list of
non-free software that may is needed in openSUSE to run efficiently.
This would help a lot, programmers, to create new free software and have
a roadmap to where they are going.

Also, what's the state of the Linux kernel that openSUSE uses? Recently
Debian, changed that and will put on its version 6.0 "Squeeze" a
completely free Linux Kernel, blobs not included [2]. Could openSUSE do
the same thing?

It is of important value that among the major distributions on [1] the
openSUSE and SUSE distributions are the least blamed. I don't think that
at FSF didn't searched about openSUSE and searched to find about all
others. I think that we are indeed more close to Free Software
Guidelines than anyone else in the mainstream GNU/Linux distributions
river.

It would worth a lot to make this little step and touch (and maybe open)
the door of the FSF.