Re: [opensuse] Question about Free Software policies within the openSUSE Project
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:36:08 -0500
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Kostas Boukouvalas
<boukouvalas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
Also, what's the state of the Linux kernel that openSUSE uses? Recently
Debian, changed that and will put on its version 6.0 "Squeeze" a completely
free Linux Kernel, blobs not included [2]. Could openSUSE do the same thing?

I'm pretty sure the openSUSE kernel is 100% GPL possibly even
including blobs. ie. No closed source binary blobs are in the
standard openSUSE kernel to my understanding.

If you need to add a non-GPL module or a proprietary blob, then you
have to look to non-official repos like Packman, etc.

fyi: Greg KH is a major decision maker about what's in the official
openSUSE kernel and he is pretty adamant about it staying pure GPL.

Greg