Re: [opensuse] Question about Free Software policies within the openSUSE Project
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:18:04 +0100
Am 23.12.2010 13:09, schrieb Kostas Boukouvalas:
What are the Free Software policies inside the openSUSE project?

The only thing FSF notices that separates openSUSE Project from the
Emacs Church is "openSUSE offers its users access to a repository of
nonfree software" [1].

Could this change? I mean, could this repository be ousted from openSUSE
but still being accessible by openSUSE users if they want to?
Instructions could be given in forums outside the wiki or the official
openSUSE community sites.

Something like packman but with no help from the community. It would
also be a chance for business for someone that wants also to help
freedom but on the other hand to help a user in the extreme case that
some hardware cannot work with Free Software and she wants it to work
"the very moment".

Haeh, that all sounds ridiculous.

"Something like packman but with no help from the community"
Who is the community? Who is openSUSE? openSUSE creates a distribution
(oss). There is an additonal repository where nobody is forced to use it
(non-oss). I'm a strong believer in open source but if that is something
the FSF sees as an issue I don't want to have to do with them.

Wolfgang