Re: [opensuse] curious zypper suggestion
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:15:01 +0100
On Thursday 23 December 2010 12:08:08 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On 11.2, I am messing about with some apps that can easily die. Nothing
new there :) In a recent interaction, when an app crashed, I got the
following listed:

Missing separate debuginfo for /usr/lib/libXau.so.6
Try: zypper install -C
"debuginfo(build-id)=df6dcedfbde83400310437f8f22b91b8754d551d"

This was listed for each library used in the application. I do not have
any debug libraries installed. I am guessing this is suggesting that I
can get these installed with the suggested command. My question is: what
would this accomplish? Would it simply install the debug packages? Or
would it install some other useful debugging info?

It would install the corresponding debuginfo package so you'll get sensible
symbols in a backtrace or gdb session. Without them, you normally only get
question marks, which rarely helps :)

Anders