Re: [opensuse] Can't login -> 'Module is unknown' - libresmgr.so.1 invalid ELF header?
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:29:15 -0300

El 20/12/10 22:06, David C. Rankin escribió:
Guys,

Here is a new one for me. I have an (old) backup box running 10.3 that
needs an
update, but I have to get it to boot first. Currently, the box looks to boot
normally (it boots to runlevel 3). The only process that shows a fail is
'resmgr'. At the login prompt, I type my name and pw as normal, then the
following occurs:

You have new mail.

Module is unknown

That message comes from PAM.

... lib/libresmgr.so.1 invalid ELF header

Short story,It is corrupted, run fsck on the filesystem then reinstall
what provides that Shared library.

Huh? I know it is close to Christmas, but I don't need any invalid elfs in my
box.

heh, No, those kind of elfs are probably much more pleasant :-)

Bottom line - if libresmgr.so.1 has a bad ELF header can that be the
cause of
the no login?

PAM attempts to load it, because it is configured as "required", but
library is corrupt, ending in a D.o.S.

If so, how best to fix. Boot from install, chroot & reinstall
resmgr? What say the gurus?

Yeah.