Re: [opensuse] backups choice
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:06:39 +0100
On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 12:38 +0100, Matthias Bach wrote:
Hi!

Am Sonntag 19 Dezember 2010 schrieb C. Brouerius van Nidek:
Have to admit that I am do not backup on regularly. There are some files,
especially photos, that I save on cdrom but everything else I leave to the
chance that something happens to my hard drive and I loose all my setups
and personal files.
I want to change that. Its one of my good intentions for 2011 ;) .

I want to use a 2Gb usb stick. Looking into the backup programs in Yast I
am really confused which of the programs would be best suited for me. The
usb stick should not be inserted all the time.
Advice please.

I found rsnapshot to work very well. Both for Stick based as well as network
based setups.

Just a word of caution.
Using cd/dvd/blu-ray for long-term storage is not advised.
Heard many stories that valuable stuff (photo's, music, original docs)
coud not be retrieved after a year.
If you want to use them, create fresh backup's each year.

Or better, use dedicated external USB-drives or tapes.

And finally, don't put your trust on a single item:
Multipe backups, stored at different locations (fire, water, collaps,
theft, ...) Better safe than sorry and some things can't be replaced.

hw