Re: [opensuse] 11.4 Xproblem
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:51:36 -0500
Bob S said the following on 12/16/2010 05:44 PM:
Fatal server error:
cannot move old log file "/var/log/Xporg.0.log" to "var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

xinit server error
and drops me back to the prompt. Then I get some info that says:

"xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not set uid" (could this be the problem?)
"if so either use a display manager or adjust /etc/permissions.local"

Together they do make me think you have a permissions problem.

/usr/bin/Xorg should be owned by root, group root and setuid root.
That's 4711

Since you can't move the log file this doesn't seem to be running as
root so I'd think the setuid bit if left off.
But then again, maybe it *is* an ownership problem.
Can you show us the result of

ls -l /usr/bin/Xorg
and
ls -ld /var/log /var/log/Xorg*

Thanks

PS: It would be nice to run the 11.4 on a spare machine so you can
compare (and possibly copy over or restore) settings from a 11.3
production machine.

--
A program designed for inputs from people is usually stressed beyond
breaking point by computer-generated inputs. -- Dennis Ritchie