[opensuse] 11.4 Xproblem
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:44:17 -0500
Hello SuSE people

I am playing with 11.4. I have this X problem I can't figure out.

First of all it boots to the command line. Then I can get my graphics with
root only with a startx. The two users cannot and get the following message.

xauth: file /home/bob/.serverauth1234 does not exist

Fatal server error:
cannot move old log file "/var/log/Xporg.0.log" to "var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

xinit server error
and drops me back to the prompt. Then I get some info that says:

"xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not set uid" (could this be the problem?)
"if so either use a display manager or adjust /etc/permissions.local"

Which I don't know how to do. I have checked the Xorg wiki and googled
the problem. Nothing on the wiki. Google produced one exact hit from 2008
but I couldn't duplicate their solution. Hope somone can help.

Bob S