Re: [opensuse] Graduated from "Absent trash icon" to disaster
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:19:29 +0100
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 18:56, Stan Goodman wrote:
After executing the simple commands (omitting the optional repo), the
first hints of what was going to happen were a few cases in which the
installer claimed that it couldn't find expected files. In the absence of
better information, I answered "Ignore" for these.

Your first major error... selecting ignore is the fastest way to a
broken install. I'm not surprised that things went haywire as a
result. You created a perfect storm... :-(

After that, there were a remarkably LARGE number of cases in which the
installer said that the current RPM seemed to be corrupted, and did I want
to continue. I answered Yes in each case, and then Retry. In each case,
the RPM turned out not to be corrupted after all, and it was loaded. There
were tens of such incidents; I have never encountered even one such in the
three years I have been updating RPMs.

Again... selecting Yes to continue when there are clearly serious
problems with the process... is not the right answer unless you know
exactly what is going on. Selecting yes will result in a mess of
broken dependencies... half installed applications.. and basically the
exact situation you described. Part of KDE4 at 4.4 and another part
at 4.5, and some bits missing altogether.

If someone can point the way to inprove this dreadful situation, I will be
eternally grateful. And I will never again try to install anything from
the Factory.

Factory isn't the issue... it's plowing on through an update when
things were clearly wrong right from the start. Next time, please
stop the update and ask before it goes wrong :-) There's a few of us
here who are trying to keep on top of the rapid evolution of KDE4, and
we would have gladly pointed you to the stable KDE4.5 repo which is
documented here:
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories#Upstream_release_.28KDE_SC_4.5.29
This was recently created to give users a clean stable KDE 4.5 to
work with while the braver ones here moved on to the 4.6Beta.

KDE 4.5 Stable repo is very good... KDE 4.5.85 (4.6 Beta2) is OK, but
still has some wobbly bits. As Phanisvara pointed out, they are two
very different things.... and since phanisvara is assisting you with
sorting out your half install... I'll step back.

PS.... don't feel bad about pleading for help... :-) Someone here
will help get you sorted out.

C.