[opensuse] Re: [Bulk] Re: [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:36:13 +0100
Anton Aylward wrote:
Joachim Schrod said the following on 12/13/2010 02:12 PM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

What is it that they require from the Windows DHCP server that can't be
supplied by the Linux DHCP server?

Most probably, integration with AD.

DNS is a prerequisite for Active Directory.Active Directory cannot be
installed or configured without DNS. It really doesn't matter WHERE the
DNS comes from.

??????? DNS != DHCP

Nevertheless, it is also possible to run an AD infrastructure with
a foreign DHCP server. It will just be *much* more work without any
gain for the Windows side. That's why I wrote their reason is
*integration* with AD, not AD itself.

Back when I worked alongside a Windows group they had a lot of the back
end AD services implemented on *NIX machines for various reasons.

I take then, it that you have yourself never designed, realized,
implemented, tested or run an AD infrastructure yourself? I have --
and AD is a highly interesting piece of infrastructure software
where I haven't yet found its equal in the open source Linux world.
(Group policies, integration of various directory related services,
and ease of delegation are killer features, alone.) Yes, it's
_possible_ to do as you wrote, but with a very high probability
it's not _sensible_.

Joachim